Timaru Gift Guide
Let's support our awesome local businesses this Christmas and shop local.
We have some fantastic Timaru District themed gifts, there are lots of quality products produced here, and there are vouchers for pretty much anything.
1. Timaru District themed gifts
Stuff the stockings with Timaru District memorabilia.
- The Timaru Information Centre have Brian High's fabulous local photography book for sale. They are also selling the Patiti Point re-usable bag that Roncalli's' young enterprise students developed. You can also shop their Timaru memorabilia including little lighthouses, and smaller items perfect for posting overseas.
- The Geraldine Collection. The famous Geraldine Tea Towel and Apron fundraiser is still going strong. They have just released a tote bag too. These items are perfect for posting, and the tea towels look great framed as wall art.
- The South Canterbury Museum and Camerons Clothing Store have Timaru t-shirts, aprons, postcards, a Timaru road sign and books.
- Tuesday Store has some cool penguin gifts, and a really cool range of Aoraki/Mount Cook enamelware.
- Kiwinana (sounds like banana not nana FYI) has some cool Timaru prints, awesome postcards and little retro badges.
- Support our local penguin colony by gifting a cute piece of penguin jewellery made by the team at The Ringmakers.
2. Vouchers for eating, vouchers for activities
Get the whanau out and about, enjoying all the District has to offer. You can feel smug about it too, because gifting an experience is a way of creating memories without creating landfill.
- A meal out to any of our amazing eateries is the perfect gift.
- For the adventurous, what about a voucher for Big Rock Adventures or Rangitata Rafts?
- Explore beautiful Peel Forest on horseback with Peel Forest Horse Treks?
- Explore the District from above with a scenic flight or a trial flight gift voucher.
- Have you tried a DB Brewery Tour yet? No? Well they do vouchers for tours and they also have a gift shop for beer themed gifts.
3. Gift the goodness produced here
What's the point of having world class producers if we can't show them off at Christmas time?
- Put together a gift basket of locally produced food. Some of these producers do their own awesome gift packs too.
- If you've got the whanau coming to your place, feed them locally grown everything! Or take it with you.
- Give the gift of a little harmless bee colony! This is really cool. A BeeGAP membership gives you a little colony of harmless and gentle natured leafcutter and solitary bees at home.
- Start a collection of iconic Temuka Pottery for someone you love.
4. Support our local stores
Online shopping is so convenient, which can make trade difficult for our awesome retail stores.
We have cool and quirky gift and boutique stores, and if you're buying from a national chain consider supporting the ones that have stores here first. Let your feet do the walking this Christmas, support our local retailers.
Geraldine have a Twilight Christmas Shopping Experience on 23rd Dec - Great for last minute Christmas shopping. Farmers Market will have all the Christmas produce, retailers open late, entertainment etc.
Christmas postage cut-off dates
Don't miss out on getting your Timaru District goodness in the mail. Check out NZ Post's cut-off for posting dates here.