School Holiday Activities
Needing some inspiration for school holiday activities?
We want to get you out and about enjoying all the activities this District has to offer.
Please get in touch if there's something we can add to this evolving list.
1. Get out and about
- Check out our family friendly activity options.
- If you've got adventurous visitors over the holidays check out these activities.
- If it's free family fun you're after take your pick from these activities.
- It's the perfect time of year for penguin spotting, horse trekking, and other animal adventures.
- We have fantastic tracks throughout the Timaru District. How many can you try over the summer holidays?
- Spend a day at Peel Forest - Take your pick of shorter bush walks with waterfalls, or climb a mountain and be back in time for lunch!
- Spend the day at Centennial Park trying out all the tracks, there are MTB tracks for beginners to advanced. Pack a picnic, cook a bbq.
- Temuka Primary School have put in a new bike track that you can access outside of school hours.
- Get swimming! Take your pick from leaping off the pontoon into the Pacific Ocean at Caroline Bay, to an indoor swim & hydroslide at CBay Aquatic Centre, or any of our awesome outdoor community pools.
- The 'Learn to Swim' School Holiday Programme starts Monday 13th January at CBay.
- South Canterbury Roller Skating has holiday sessions at Caroline Bay. Starting from 14th Jan, sessions are held every Tuesday & Thursday, from 2pm to 4pm, $7 entry and skate hire.
- Wuhoo Timaru have launched their Play43 challenge. Download the free fun fact sheet that will have you exploring all 43 Council owned playgrounds in Timaru District! Tick all the challenges off over the holidays.
7. Art & Craft
- Talented local artist Wayne Patrick is holding art classes for kids. Contact Wayne to find out more.
- Get out and appreciate our amazing public art in Timaru City. Grab a sculpture hunt map from the Aigantighe Art Gallery.
- Get your selfie on at our vibrant street art sites.
- Take your pick from our mini-golf courses
- Did you realise there's a practice fairway at Timaru Golf Club? Purchase a bucket of golf balls from the Pro Shop for $5 and away you go. Open 7 days, 9am - 5pm, club hire also available.
- Try disc golf at Caroline Bay or West End Park
- Looking for something fun to do these holidays, or have a birthday coming up. Harlau House have you covered, book your DIY donut decorating station today. For only $20 per child, you get 1 x donut to decorate,1 x kids meal, 1 x juice. Minimum of 4 per booking, bookings are essential. Bookings can be made by Phone 03 683 1887 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Rainy day activities
- Don't climb the walls at home if we have bad weather, here are some options to get you out and about - movies, museums, trampolines and more.
- Friday 17 January - Sunday 19 January: Soundsplash Timaru, an amazing 3 day music festival at Caroline Bay
12. Pleasant Point Railway and Museum
- The Pleasant Point Railway and Museum is a great place to visit for families and vintage steam and machinery enthusiasts.
From 27th Dec to 1st March, the railcar will be operating on the hour, 11am - 3pm, the steam train will be in operation on some of those days too. You catch a ride from the Pleasant Point Railway Station in town. The trip includes a ride in the railcar/train, an hour long tour of the museum site, see the model railway room operating and a short historic movie in our theatre plus more. The steam trains will also be operating for some of those days.
13. South Canterbury Museum
On Wednesday 22nd January we will be exploring Centennial Park (Scenic Reserve) in Timaru. We will visit some of the old quarry sites, a Moa site, and have scavenger hunts to do.
Both events are free. Bring sun hats, water bottles and suitable footwear. We will bring our bug hunting gear for you to use.
More information can be found on our website at https://museum.timaru.govt.nz/home
If wet, come to the SC Museum in Timaru instead and find out more about Bugs, Bees and Birds. Make one of these creatures while you are here.
You can also visit the Museum to:
* Find the Golden Frog – Find it and go in the draw to win a prize at the end of the holidays
* Get a closer look at our new exhibition, “ A Timaru Landmark”
* Join our Museum Explorers’ Club
* Do a museum quiz and earn a penny to play on one of our historic coin games!
* Play our Spacies game and see if you can get to the top of the leaderboard - 50c a game
* Explore our exhibitions with hundreds of things to see!
* Watch a movie in our new mini theatre
* Museum Mystery Phrase – Running from the 6th of January 2020 come in and solve the mystery to go in the draw to win a prize
Get fishing with the 'Take a Kid Fishing Day 2020' event. This is a free family day out, on Sunday 26th January from 10am - 1pm. Bring fishing gear and appropriate clothing. Hosted by Hunting and Fishing.
The summer reading challenge is on again! Head to the library at Timaru, Temuka or Geraldine and pick up a challenge card. Work your way towards a sport prize! Open to children 12 and under.
Holiday programs - December 2019/January 2020
- The OSCAR Holiday program with YMCA looks amazing - Peel Forest walks, crafts, movies, and more.
- Another fabulous OSCAR holiday program is run by SKIDS at Waimataitai. Activities include making cupcakes, a day of Zen, Christmas crafts, an eco day and more.
- Sports South Canterbury are running their popular program. Try your hand at different sports, and other fun activities like crafts, movies and games.
- The South Canterbury Drama League are running a Fun for All drama programme.
- Peel Forest Outdoor Centre is holding some awesome rock climbing and water adventure days for school kids in January as part of their holiday program.
- Tennis South Canterbury's school holiday programme is on Jan 22 - 23, offering coaching for kids. For more information please contact via email.
- Children from year 2 - 6 can take part in South Canterbury Cricket's holiday program, starting on January 28.
If you exhaust all the activities on this list, there are plenty more on this website. Alternatively download the Timaru App to your mobile and get making plans. Have a safe and FUN summer holidays.